Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Volunteering with Kids

Last night I volunteered to play with kids at a housing center. It's supposed to be the only housing center in L.A. that accepts families with teenagers. The kids that came out last night seemed to be around the age of 3-12 yrs. old. We gathered into the play/library/art room where there were 2 tables, a bunch of little chairs, a couch and a big T.V. that doesn't work anymore.

I recognized some of the kids from the last time that I was there, which was way back in May. It made me so happy to see how much they've grown and how some of the kids even recognized me from last time. We played Thanksgiving Bingo where instead of numbers there were pictures of things related to Thanksgiving. Before the game, we introduced ourselves and shared one thing that we are grateful for. One little girl was so honest and sweet. She shared with us how happy she is to have her Mom in her life b/c she knows that her Mom always tries very hard to make her happy and keeps her company when she is lonely. Other kids mentioned families, friends, cousins, and toys.

I also read a couple of books to some of the kids there and they just loved the attention. I'm not sure how much attention these kids are getting, but I can't imagine what their families are going through right now. I'm just glad that at least there's a place like this housing center that will help people who are in need. This Thanksgiving I want to volunteer at a soup kitchen, since I won't be going home until Dec., hopefully. If you know of any places that will be doing this, please let me know.

No comments: