Monday, June 23, 2008

A Busy Day at the Design Department

Work today was definitely hectic. It was one of those days where there were project after project that was due throughout the day. First was this 4 pager publication by 1:30 PM, which I found out around noon that it was actually due at 1 PM. Just designing it isn't enough. This 1 PM deadline means that it needs to have already gone through the Editorial department for copy edits then back to Design for final correction then back to Editorial to make sure all the corrections are correct then back to Design to be exported into PDFs for the client.

Second, media kit mock-ups that need to be designed and printed by 5 PM. Luckily, we have people who will come pick them up to overnight them to our clients by tomorrow morning. My boss created the first design and I had to design the second one. Around 4 PM, I found out that there are actually two separate clients that will need to get the mock-ups. One hour may sound like plenty of time, but each mock-up has three print outs that need to be cut and glued. And some how the printer just started to print slower and slower. Sometimes the printer will make weird sound while printing. The whole time I was thinking "It better not run out of paper or ink." Along with this, it didn't help that there were millions of flies that came out of no where. They were extremely annoying and gross. Some were so weak that they could barely fly or maybe it was because the AC was on, I'm not sure. I thought that flies don't like AC. My head felt like the smoke in the picture below. I got headaches because I was hungry, but the thought of eating with the flies while working, just didn't seem appetizing.

Not everyday is like this of course. By the end of the day after all the projects were done, I actually felt good that I finished. Not as best as I hoped for, but it's definitely better than not making deadlines at all.


LA Fire
View from Franklin Ave. and Bronson Ave.

No comments: