Thursday, May 20, 2010

Donations

Why is it so much easier to donate clothes that no longer fit me than the ones that I haven't worn in years? They both belong in the unused category, but I just can't seem to say good bye to them. I admit it, I have a lot of clothes. Not because I shop often or anything; I just can't seem to let things go especially when they're in perfectly good conditions. I keep thinking that I'll find other ways to make use of them or find someone to give them to, but I don't. Instead they're hidden away underneath my bed. Must remind myself that my next bed should be very low to the ground, so I can eliminate this hiding place all together.

Last night a high school kid asked me for bus money. I said no, but can't stop feeling bad about it. I have no idea if his reason is true or not. Back in my younger days, I used to walk for hours and have never asked a stranger for money. I don't know what type of situation this kid is in, but I wonder if it's easier for people to ask strangers for things now than in my days.

The last time that I donated money was to this homeless man carrying a sign that reads, "Please Share Just One Quarter." Something about it made me really sad as if people get mad at him for standing near the freeway with his sign. What would you do if you were homeless, have you ever thought about that? Where would you go for anything when you have no one to turn to?

No comments: